Monday, December 27, 2010

The Arrival.

(Part 2 of my Bangkok series)

In case you havent realized it yet, i'm an overexcitable puppy. There is something about travelling that makes me feel like im an 8 year old, with the legal permissions that being 27 provides.
Time to fast forward, land in Bangkok, airport is HUGE, immigration is long, immigration official tells me twice not to smile so much for my picture.
I just start to relax as we pull into the hotel lobby, when the cabby manages to remind me that we are in Thailand. You know how they say that when there is a language barrier, yelling louder doesn't help? It doesnt. What helps is telling a 5'2 cab driver, that the 6'0 customer who is cranky with no sleep does not believe that he can keep the change against a 500 baht note (on a fare of 340) as a tip for his drunken smile.
Hugs, kisses, yada yada. Why is everyone pushing their babies in my arms? The last time a cousin tried making me hold my new born niece, all I could say was.."Uhh.. has routine cleaning and maintainence been completed on this thing?"
Hello Uncle. So glad to see you after all these years. Yes I am a big boy now. Yes please, slap me on the back hard with the flat of your hand telling me exactly how much i've grown. That doesnt hurt at all....
So somewhere into the process of exitting the cab and entering the hotel lobby, another cousin tells me that my parents are in room 2014, i am in room 2005 with my cousin (with the cleaned maintained niece).Breakfast is to be had before we head to our rooms.
"Hello Uncle, why arent you eating more? your plate looks empty.. *slap on back* .. oh im sorry, was that orange juice in your hand? *smile*.

(Continued in Part 3: What it means to be in Bangkok)

5 comments:

  1. hahha..love it! Loved the part about the immigration guy asking you to smile less for your photograph! Write more...more often and lengthier posts! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Witty! I had a smile on my face the whole time I was reading it. Its really entertaining.

    Just write the whole thing no? I feel like i'm 'reading' my favourite soap - with the endless wait for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHAHA! I've on more occasions than one wanted to throttle old aunts who've pulled my cheeks and shrieked, " KITNI BADI HO GAYI HAI!" I could completely relate to this one! Also the bit about the babies, it had me in splits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. routine cleaning and maintainence! hehehhehe...so funny...sounds like ur talking about a vaccum cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Slap on the back* The way you express yourself is awesome! This post left a smile on my face.:)

    ReplyDelete