Friday, May 25, 2012

Mind over matter...

Someone once wrote the phrase "Mind over matter". Someone then decided that running a distance of 42 kilometers in honour of someone who died trying to do that was a good thing. In a triumverate of bad ideas, someone decided to mix these two thoughts together and see what happens. That last someone was me.
Let us put 42 kilometers in perspective.... it is about 41.95 kilometers more than the average person runs in a day, (If you are on time for your Bus/Train then it is 42 kilometers more).
Anyway, I digress. Why am I discussing human stupidiy and distance? (For those of you who will argue that it is human willpower and a spirit of 'can do', I would like to point to the aforesaid dead greek who "did not"). The main reason is because I am a bit overweight. When I say a bit, I mean a bit. In the same way that the Earth is a bit larger than Venus. Its all about perspective really, and from my perspective that last gulab jamun always looks lonely on a plate.
At some point of time , The Girl (yes there is one) put things in a very succint manner. Due to copywrite and legal reasons (To prevent her from doing something highly illegal to me) I will not repeat what she said. The net effect of this was to push me to go back to the gym and start losing weight. And I needed a push. First out of the car, then up the stairs, then into the changing room and so forth.
Luckily I had already signed up for a gym almost 6 months earlier. I went there quite regularly until I got injured, namely my ego suffered a bruising from watching other people work out.
Now, I have never been a runner. (I am sure some of you expect me to make a joke about "except when it comes to running away from work", but that is not a laughing matter and takes serious effort.) Running for me has always been more of a concept. A "can do" with an addendum of "later". I also always figured that the treadmill was a metaphor for life where you spend so much time running all to stay in the same place. Thus who needs metaphors when you have the real thing right?
Well, as always in life I put my best foot forward. Followed by my other foot. Followed quickly by my best foot again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment